In the next few weeks, you should be receiving information about your 2011 health insurance benefits. Many people are unaware that their health plans offer value-added benefits and other resources at no additional cost.
While enjoying the holiday season, take time to familiarize yourself with all of your benefits so come the New Year, you can begin getting the greatest value out of your health insurance policy.
- Lower your prescription costs. Use generic or preferred brands. Or split tablets, if approved by your physicians, cutting your medication co-pay in half.
- Use case manager assistance, if needed. Utilize your health plans specially trained nurses to guide you through troubling conditions, such as lower back pain, or more serious illnesses, such as cancer.
- Activate check-up reminders. Make sure to schedule your check-ups and procedures such as mammograms, pap smears, vaccinations and annual physicals, utilizing your health plan’s Web site calendar feature such as the one on myuhc.com.
- Request electronic prescriptions. Ask for prescriptions to be delivered to pharmacies electronically and use electronic health records – both avoid errors and lead to safer outcomes.
- Conduct a self-assessment of your health. Take your health plan’s online health self-assessments. These often provide interactive advice and coaching about how you can change your lifestyle to improve your health.
Maximizing your health benefits may help you improve the health of you and your family… and ensure you get the most for your healthcare dollar.